Sunday, May 20, 2012

Could the Church Pew Hold all the Pain?

We live directly behind our church- all we need do is take a short stroll to reach the doors.  I find myself looking around the church as people enter, wondering if I might see another  "New Face" who is fighting the battle of Body against Pain and without question, I always see someone and it stops me cold!  All I want to do is look away but my heart refuses to do that and I sit there, taking in all the visible signs of Pain, wondering what their Story holds. Today we had a visiting Nigerian Priest who serves as a Chaplain for a very large hospital, located about 45 minutes from us-but my mind was instantly taken away from noticing him because Pain had decided to give me another Lesson today!

 I realized our particular Pew was being filled up fast with familiar faces of Pain!  First person was Me-I need extra "squirming room"- to keep the Burning Butt quiet.  Second person was my husband-here he sat with this Huge Bandage around his Hand, as he gently held it with the other hand-being so protective of that injured Thumb-lets face it, the last thing we want is for that Thumb to take any further abuse.  Third person to join our Pew was the most touching-a friend we have known for many years, filled with deep Faith and in great physical shape as she is in the golden years of life.  A few months ago she took a sudden fall that caused a severe break to the Main Thigh Bone-requiring  major surgery, months of hard physical rehab exercises-as Pain had decided to join her life and turn it upside down!

All I could think to do was make a silent request  "Lord, this is Martha-Good Morning!  There is too much Pain sitting in our Church Pew this morning-please don't bring anyone else!" The answer from God was right in front of me- there was just too much Physical Pain around me and there was no place for me to hide!   I looked at our friend and saw the damage Pain has brought -those familiar tired eyes, a walking cane beside her- serving as a constant reminder of her injury- watching as she struggled with the idea of trying to kneel in prayer and  Truth hitting as if to say "You can't do that anymore" but she bowed her head in prayer and as she finished-a look of sadness was there, and I recognized it-almost as if I were looking in a mirror.

God allowed  me to see these faces of Pain up today-and I knew the choice was mine to either Learn or simply look away!  I chose to sit and take it all in as I knew, there were a lot of New Lessons about Coping with Pain for me to see today.

Who would think a Church Pew could teach us such lessons?  Before I left the service, I offered up a silent
prayer, asking God to help all who are suffering with Pain.   My Joy for today-an easy one-sitting in the Church Pew with my Husband and an old friend.  I will take that piece of Joy anytime.


4 comments:

  1. Martha,

    I am happy that in the midst of all the faces of Pain around you and with you, you are finding joy in the most simple places.

    Hugs and God bless you always with my warm thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolita-
      Thank you for your special words-today was tougher-I don't exactly know why but something was telling me how important it was to be strong and Look at this Pain-and learn from it.

      Yes-I will admit that my moments of Joy are simple-easy-nothing fancy or dramatic, just precious moments of Joy and I am grateful to God for each moment I get.

      I hope things are okay in your part of the world and please know, I think about you every single day-and your face-well it makes me smile!

      What a dear friend you are! God bless you.

      Martha

      Delete
  2. Wow...this deepens even more the sense of bond I feel with you==how many times have i done the same? We show our visible pain and brokenness, however, I believe there is a broken heart on every pew as well, whose pain is invisible. "All God's children's got problems." Thankfully, we've also "gots" Jesus.

    Take care, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judi-
      Bless you for giving me the reminder about the "Hidden Pain" that sits on many church pews-filled with people carrying huge loads of Pain in Broken Hearts! Such Truth in your comments-and as we sit in that pew with a person sitting next to us-and we have no "Clue" as to how deep their heartache is.

      You are right-"All God's Children's got Problems" and yes dear Judi-thank goodness we have "Got's Jesus!"

      God bless you for this insightful posting. Your words always open my mind to look further-looking beyond the silent face of Pain-the one that is quiet and rarely speaks.

      You take care too dear Judi and please know, the sense of "bond" is also felt by me. I am in awe of your courage and faith! Keep going Judi-day by day!

      God Bless you. Martha

      Delete