Friday, June 1, 2012

Old-time Pain Remedies......

Growing up in the country was never boring for me-it seemed each day held a new adventure-and many of them came with dangerous wounds-no simple knee scrapes but injuries that brought Fear racing among my family-because we lived so far away from any form of emergency care.  We rarely saw a doctor and a hospital seemed like a strange land I was never allowed to enter as children below the age of twelve were not allowed on the floors where patients lay sick.  Yet we did have our share of hospital trips with injuries happening as two brothers decided to have a "Wild West Shoot Out" with BB Guns-being given a harsh warning by my Dad "Now listen, Don't Shoot each others Eyes Out!"  I don't think they heard the warning and a few minutes later, off we rushed to the hospital, and being grateful all was okay.

Today my mind took a "visit back" when Medical treatment for Pain was very different-wounds and cuts were cleaned with water,  I recall a "tube of Medication" my Mom called "Ixiy Oil"  my brain tells me there had to be a different name for it.  She claimed it could cure any injury but it smelled horrible and was a  thick black ointment (perhaps today's version of Antibiotic Ointment) but she made sure to put this on and wrapped us with a make-do bandage.  My parents never told us how tight money was because life on the farm always seemed plentiful-especially on Sunday when we had Fried Chicken-I will leave out How we got the Chicken to the table.

When we were hit with one of the dreaded childhood diseases-Measles, Mumps, Chicken Pox-things took a serious note and I recall getting the Measles, being kept in a very dark room as Mom put some type of Warm  Mixture on my chest-it was the worst part of being sick with this illness because the smell would send everyone running from the room!  As I reflect back on those years, I  can't recall seeing anybody in Chronic Pain-people "toughed it out" and kept going.  My precious Dad was working with Cattle while in the midst of a full blown Appendix attack.  The cattle brought needed income to our family and his priority was to take care of them before he stopped to go see a doctor for the ache in his side.  Thank God he made it to the hospital in time-and was back at work in a matter of days!

There did come one terrible day when I got an early Introduction to Pain-I loved to go with my Dad to feed the Cattle and nothing would stop me. I can still hear his voice "Sister, you better hurry and get some warm clothes on-we are Burning Daylight" (one of his favorite expressions) and while rushing to get dressed, I got tangled in my pants, and fell back against a Hot Burning Wood Stove!  I recall screaming in agony and my Parents told me later the skin on my back had stuck to the stove- they had to pull me away from it.  All I  remember is spending months in bed, being wrapped in tight bandages and  seeing a look of deep worry as My Parents watched over me, I can't imagine the sorrow my Dad went through, seeing his little girl in such Pain and it was a long time before I finally heard him saying "Come on Sister, lets go feed those Cows!"   I gradually healed and forgot the awful Pain from being burned-not knowing how that "Burning Pain" would come back into my life many years later-and God always beside me, giving me the courage to fight through the Burn.

My Joy for this day came as I took a "walk" back in time-thinking about these many adventures of living on a farm, being treated with Old-Time Pain cures and now being so grateful for the tremendous advances made in the Medical Field-I will keep praying more progress is made for the treatment of Chronic Pain.

God bless you.  Martha




4 comments:

  1. Ouch! I can't imagine what you and your parents suffered when you were so badly burned!! And I join with you in thanking God for how He has brought vast improvements into pain management. Thousands who suffered didn't tough it out...they were locked away in attics, root cellars, or institutions; they had "accidents", or they killed themselves. Yet, our loving God saw their suffering, as much as He sees ours, and I'm sure had mercy on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judi-
      You are right-there must be countless "Faces of Pain" we never see, and they do suffer in silence. I believe God was with each one of them-it gives me some comfort to think of HIM being there.

      It was eye-opening for me today as I did this post-when I connected being so burned with this wicked Burning Sciatica Pain I now deal with. I do pray for continued Improvements in Pain Management-especially when I think of these young soldiers coming home, limbs missing and them coming face to face with "Phantom Nerve Pain"-how much they must learn as they find courage to move ahead and keep living.

      Your words were very touching Judi-you always help me to STOP-and take a deeper reflection of the world around me. I am blessed to know you and grateful for the amazing Faith you show!

      God bless you dear one. Martha

      Delete
  2. Loved this post, Martha, giving us a glimpse into country/farm/ranch life. I cringed as I read your story of being burned on the stove...I'm so sorry you went through that. I can't imagine...And, as always, so sorry for the burning you still experience!

    From a parent's point of view: When my firstborn was about 6 months old and crawling, we lived in a tiny apartment. I was in the living room and Michael was crawling about. The next thing I heard was a blood-curdling scream that echoes in my soul to this day. He had crawled into the kitchen area and went to stand up. He put his tiny hands on the bottom handle of the stove. The oven was on and by the time I got to him, his hands were burned onto that handle. I had to rip them off, as well! I rushed him to the doctor. But, the agony in my heart is still there to this day. So, I can understand how your parent's must have felt...

    God bless you, dear Martha, as you keep "plowing through" your pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane-
      Oh my goodness, how I loved your last line "keep Plowing Through the Pain!" It is a perfect description and it does feel like I am doing
      exactly that!

      I am so sorry to hear you had a "Burn" experience with your child too. Its something no parent ever wants to through and after I recovered, thats when I began to notice how both of my parents watched me when outside work was going on. After my sister arrived, I then had a new job, taking care of a brand new baby at the tender age of SIX... Mom had to help Daddy do so much of the work and I am pretty sure they could see I had matured well beyond that young age.

      Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me and it helps me to keep moving ahead, being sure my PLOW is on course!

      Bless you and all my hugs come your way! Martha

      Delete