Saturday, June 23, 2012

Beaten by the "new" Computer World.............

My idea of a computer in 1972 was the electric typewriter facing me each day in Typing class- no matter how hard I worked, my fingers were lucky to get 45 words per minute.  Everyone else flew through the textbook-as I sat doing a poor "Hunt & Peck Version of Typing!" When Test Day came, guess who was last at finishing the test-Yes, Me!

Our Teacher took us to a contest-I sat as the lone observer, hearing the sounds of fingers flying over keys,  watching in awe as some Woman typed  95 words per minute-with having just One Arm!  This is true-stunning to observe One hand moving so fast over the keys-leaving me to think  "Kiddo-you should Not be looking at Secretarial work" as I ended the Typing Class with a Grade of C!

My generation didn't have Computers at our side, no I Pad, I Phones-instead our version of IPod was the Eight Track Tape Deck-very cool!  When I first sat at a computer, all I did was type H E L P!!!!  Tons of instructions popped up as I asked my Four year old son "what should Mom do now?"  His answer was clear- the familiar sound of fingers flying over keys-"Typing Class all over again!" With head hung low, I
walked away, having no desire to try the Computer for a while.

 Recently I braved  "New Frontiers" by getting on  Facebook, but my current progress report probably is  F-failing- with no hope of a Curve to the grade.  I knew there was something about Friends-I pushed a button- One Friend turned into Fifty!  People I don't know-haven't a clue who they are, nothing.  I am lost when it comes to Facebook.

I considered  leaving a "Message" with Facebook, but how in the world can I do that?  Which Button do I push?  My fear is the message would go to Friends-all strangers who might say "What is this gal in Texas saying- Something about being Lost in a Facebook Forest-Wait a minute-did someone forget to share with all of us Friends about a New Section of Facebook? If She is in the New Forest Section, we want to go there Too!" 

Without question, Facebook is amazing-but for this Texas Gal-I feel like a person who attended Computer Lessons for Beginners, I wait for people to leave the classroom,  see the Teacher and hand over my "Computers for Dummies Book" as I ask-"Is there a Volume Six of this Series?"  She would peer at me over her glasses and say "No-but stay away from Facebook-you brought me 20,000 new Friends and I don't know any of them!"  

I have been beaten by this part of the Computer World-sounds like its time for me to leave Facebook before I get a message from the FaceBook President!

Thanks for listening.

Martha

6 comments:

  1. Oh I am sad Martha...but surely understand for I got off of fb only to return after a short absents. It is not for everyone...and I must say I perfer an email from someone to a short message on fb. Thats where "message" comes in because I can get on someone else fb wall, hit message and type them as long of message I want to and it's private, only goes to the person I am typing to. Took me a while to get that part. Never fear I will still be there to laugh with you on your blog site...blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty-
      You are the one I worried about so much-because we had just FRIENDED and I thought- "You don't leave a FRIEND this quick" and before I do a complete "See you later Facebook" I have a dear friend who I will sit down with to see if there is ANY hope for me to learn.

      I must agree with you-thank you GOD-for emails...

      Do not worry my dear Betty-we Shall find a way to visit.

      love, martha

      Delete
  2. LOL!

    Martha, you have such a unique perspective on life. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane-
      Well I decided to give my current "Facebook Situation" a lot of humor, because if I don't laugh about this issue, all I will do is CRY!

      Its very frustrating for me as I admit this has beaten me. I do not like giving up-but as I told Betty, I will be turning to some experts for help (sheryl) and see if there is any hope of Martha finding her way OUT of the Facebook Forest!!

      You are so loving Diane. Bless you.

      Martha

      Delete
  3. Gee to the Victorious over Pain, and beaten by FB.

    Funny, Martha because my FB account was opened by my son. At one time, I gave it up too, because it is a maze. Friends of friends wanting to be added and them asking for you to be their friends. I always stick to people I have a genuine relationship with, even in the net.... because I don't want any disappointed if we can't follow.

    I am for a sincere interaction in life, and if I neglect some, it would be a failure for me.

    So I got stuck with Blogger than over at FB. I like the easy link thought to advertise encouraging blogs with. You just hit share and it will be posted in your Time-Line... for others to see and with the hope to connect with it.

    Just be patient and do not fear to tread. I think angels do tread at FB too, if only to share Jesus.

    We just left off with the thrash. Yes, you may also ask help from Sheryl, she will launch you the FB buttons, the settings-private/public....etc. Then soon, it will be peanut to you.

    My love and my blessings for today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolita-
      Well it helps to know I am not alone in the "not knowing what to do with Facebook" and will probably try to hold out a bit longer with it.

      My idea was simple-just send a link to my postings of my blog-but for whatever reason, that did NOT happen and then TONS of FRIENDS showed up,comments about everything BUT Chronic Pain and I felt so terribly LOST.

      My frustration only sent my Pain level through the roof-so I have stayed away for FB-waiting to see if I can approach it again and get a better grip on it!!

      We shall see...

      This computer world is amazing.

      Thanks for the supportive words my dear friend.

      Martha

      Delete