Saturday, June 16, 2012

How we Love our Dads................

Seems like Fathers Day snuck up fast-I had to check my calendar to be sure this is Fathers Day Weekend and my heart immediately went to memories of my Dad.  It was like watching a movie, moments in time from being a very young child to teenage years, becoming a young woman and then finally Marriage.

I struggled in finding a way to share a brief tribute about my Dad and to give a Loud THANK YOU to all the Dads of this world and it hit me-"Martha-let your heart pick them out" and so here we go:

Childhood years:  We lived on a large ranch with every animal possible-each year Daddy would take me by the hand, showing me so many Expectant Mother Goats while telling me "Now Sister, You can pick one of these Moma Goats and she is yours to keep an eye on!"  I loved doing this and each Moma Goat seemed to have twins which was icing on the cake for me!

Teenager: This memory came the morning after my big night of graduation from high school- I had no clue as to where my life should go- no need to rush it.  As I sat down for breakfast that morning, Daddy sat quietly, looking as if he had been waiting for me-I reached for some toast, making eye contact with him and that was the Go signal-"Daughter-what are your plans now?"  Silence hung in the air as my mind is thinking "Plans" but instead I  said "I don't know Daddy." His next words left a lasting impression with me-"Sister, if you are going to stay here, then you better go get a Job today, and don't come home until you find one!"

It probably sounds a bit hard for a Dad to say this to his daughter-but I heard them, loud and clear.  I dressed quickly, grabbed the newspaper and headed to town, praying to find a job.  God was with me, and I found a job sewing jeans at a factory.  Within a few hours, I had gone from a clueless teenager to a young
woman who found out she could get a job and earn her way, and I returned home that evening, filled with pride!

Grown Woman:  Daddy was ill and living in a beautiful assisted living facility-I knew his time was short but never dreamed how quickly God was going to call him home.  I was on my way to get Injections for the Chronic Pain I lived with each day and my cellphone rang-Daddy was calling to check on me-always being there for me!  Our conversation was simple "Heh Sister, hope everything goes good today."  We made some small talk and I told him "Daddy I love you and promise to come see you in a few days after I feel better from these shots!"

There was a pause on his end- "Well Sister- I hate to tell you this, but I think you are gonna be living with that old leg pain for the rest of your life."  Why was he telling me this?  I struggled to find words and
finally said  "Daddy, I bet you are right, and I will just have to learn how to deal with it!"  Little did I know my Dad would pass away late that evening, and God gave me a few minutes to tell him how very much I loved him, asking him to say hi to Moma for me and within a flash, he was gone.

This man gave me a lifetime of memories I shall cherish forever and I thank God for having him as my Dad.  Let us honor all Fathers around this world, those still waiting to feel the joy of holding their first child in their arms and especially the Fathers who have done their work here on Earth and are now in the loving arms of their Heavenly Father.

Thank you for allowing me to share my Dad with you.  God bless.  Martha





10 comments:

  1. Precious, precious memories. Thank you for sharing them. You are truly blessed by God to have had two such wonderful men in your life!

    Truly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane-
      Thank YOU for these words of Love and as each day moves, this Rich Blessing from God-HIM sending me a Father who loved me without condition! He just loved Me.

      God heard my prayers-when I put my head down, opened my heart and begged HIM to bring me a Good Man who would LOVE me, with respect and honor-again Loving without Condition~! That was almost 39 years ago-I stumbled my way to a "Chili Cooking Contest" and there he was-"My Rock-Matt" we met, dated about a year and a half, married and here I sit-on this Day-simply thanking God for all the good Men in this world.

      But I also thank God for all the men who are "working their way to becoming Good Men"

      I ask God to keep a closer eye on those Men who are Fathers and might be struggling to find their way-because I always believe there is HOPE.

      Thank you Diane. My dear friend. God loves you so much!

      Martha

      Delete
  2. It is lovely to hear your remembrances of your Dad, and most of all to hear your love for him between the lines. May the thought of his joy in heaven this Father's Day lift your heart! Thanks for sharing from your heart, Martha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam-
      Such sweet words coming my way on this day-when the memories are "Bitter Sweet" but yet I thank God for the blessing of these memories.

      I cherish your comment "Loving between the Lines" and the precious reminder to take a moment on this day, Look UPWARD and Give Thanks to God-and a special "Hi DADDY-Its ME-Sister!"

      This day can truly make the heart Ache...

      God Bless you Pam-keep "walking your path" because I truly believe your writing will find its way to the RIGHT spot-and your star will shine for all.

      Thank you God for the lovely blessing of Pam.

      Martha

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Martha for those words of hope! I read of your loving husband too,and that to me is a wonderful blessing not everyone has... one God hasn't blessed me with, but one that always give me to joy to hear. Thank you for the lovely prayer too!

      I'm glad my words blessed you today too! Yes, with my mom in heaven, that is how Mother's Day is for me...

      Delete
    3. Pam-
      I can't explain it but just feel there is a very big future waiting for you. Your kind words about my dear husband touch me and yes, He is the Best Blessing in my life.

      Its not easy being a member of the "I no longer have Parents Club" and these two days always bring memories-that are bittersweet!

      Bless you for these words.

      Martha

      Delete
    4. Thank you, Martha... it's been a crazy 6 or 7 years for me in particular, so I'm taking that word of blessing! :) I feel God has some blessings ahead for you too, in the Ephesians 3:20 beyond our imagination way.

      Delete
    5. Pam-
      My words are simple-but my belief in your writing is strong! I have this feeling- a day will come as I sit back to read some of your amazing words and think "Now I recall meeting Pam and being so blessed by her writing-look how far she has come!"

      Thank you for the sweet words about "future blessings" for me. They are coming each day as I write and share the journey of living with Pain-and getting a word back, hearing someone say "I can't believe someone really understands how bad my Pain is!"

      There is my joy-because Chronic Pain can be very lonely.

      blessings to you dear Pam.

      martha

      Delete
  3. Such a good man to leave you a legacy of strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judi-
      You said it all! My Dad meant so much to me and I do believe he was teaching me so many important lessons that I would look back on as my life moved forward.

      He indeed was an example of courage and strength. I was just proud to be his daughter.

      Bless you Judi. This truly touches me.

      martha

      Delete