Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Sometimes- "Real" Blessings are right in front of us..

Its day Two of Shot Recovery-and dear husband/aka-Nurse Rachet, noticed me sneaking out to my office and finally gave me the Thumbs Up-his way of saying "I know, you want to get back to your computer and Talk!  After all these years of marriage-we can read each other's thoughts before any words are spoken, I take that as a special treasure-although there are times when we look at each other and say
"Now how did you know what I was thinking?" 

For some reason, this Shot Procedure didn't go as easy- I have a Hard time waking up and believe me, the medical people do Not like this to happen!  I woke up in Recovery to see nurses around me, paying close attention to me-as it dawned on me, Oops-I didn't want to wake up!  Weird how our minds work-late Sunday night, a sense of worry settled over me about the  procedure-and I stopped in my tracks-knowing I needed to spend time in prayer, asking God to please watch over me, and I am very glad to be here, alive and feeling very sore but happy to know the Burn is getting quieter by the day!  AMEN!!!

Today we needed to buy some groceries- Dear Husband seemed okay about me going-now we don't shop like a lot of couples-he has one list, I have the other and we shop by ourselves.  He can move through the store ten times faster, and this gives me a chance to stroll around, being happy to just be out of the house and for some reason, my list is very short.  We keep in touch via cellphones, finally meeting up  at the checkout line. Here is where My Reminder decided to show up-suddenly it felt like all the energy I had in my body was draining Fast!  It doesn't take much to give dear Husband the clue that something is not right as I asked him to please find me a Sprite-I needed something Cold to drink and he managed to do it without taking his eyes off me!

Finally Martha realizes-"If I don't sit down fast, I will be laying here on the floor" Matt is shoving the keys to our vehicle toward me-knowing I was paying the price for having pushed myself too much!
My eyes were searching for a place to sit and quickly saw a chair I could make it to- told Matt he could find me there!  Relief hit his face as he watched me slump in the chair, drinking the cold Sprite, and wiping my brow, knowing I had gotten to the chair in the nick of time!

This was my First reminder of the "Real Blessing" being  in front of me-a husband who knows me better than I do-because he has been the Caregiver-walking right beside me, knowing the signs to look for-me asking for a cold drink, looking for a place to sit, being suddenly very silent, beads of sweat forming on my face and seeing me turning a shade of gray!  As I sat and watched him finish at the check-out line, I thought about this man, my husband, the Blessing he is in my life-him having to sacrifice so much as he watches over me-that thought makes me terribly sad and I feel guilty for having to put him through this, but here we are and as they say, We are in this together, for the long haul!

Little did I know, God had one more moment of awareness for me to witness-I am walking ahead of Matt, asking him if he needs some help to load the groceries in our vehicle-the offer was so Weak, I should have just stayed quiet but he gave me that loving look and said "Martha, you need to open the door, sit down, start the motor up and rest-I will be right there!"  He didn't have to say anything else as I slumped into the seat and knew my body was screaming at me for not respecting all I had been through.

Suddenly I notice an older woman, one hand is heavily bandaged, a neck brace is wrapped around her neck and yet she is trying to find the proper spot to put her empty basket away.  Matt notices and offers to put it up for her-I can't take my eyes from her as I see her look up at my dear husband and there is a look of true gratitude-as if she wanted to say "I don't get help like this and I am very thankful" but I also could see the emotions bubbling to the surface and all she could say was Thank you!

All this time, her husband is sitting in their vehicle, paying no attention to the needs of his wife-almost as if she wasn't there!  There is no attempt made by him to open the door for her as she only had one good hand, no words were spoken to her and she too slumped into her seat, physically drained, a look of deep sadness spread across her face.

Today  I thanked God for blessing my life with my husband-a man who cares, goes beyond his own needs, always looking after me first-making sure all is fine with me!  As we drove out of the parking lot, I touched his hand, telling him "Thank God I have you in my life!"  He gave me a loving smile and we drove away, as I realized all I had to do on this day was simply open my eyes to truly see the Real Blessings God has brought to me!

Pain can block our line of view-its easy to happen because we are so worn down from suffering-but if we will lift our heads just a tiny bit above the Pain-there is always a bit of True Joy for us to see!  Mine came today as I watched my husband reaching out to help a stranger, a person who needed a brief moment of awareness, knowing there is someone out there who cares.

God bless you all-I pray for you each day-if you find a chance to say a simple prayer for me, I know God will hear all the prayers and we will be the better for it.  Martha

8 comments:

  1. Am I allowed to yell at you? LOL...

    Seriously, Martha! I can't believe you were out and about already. We New Yorkers have a saying, "You pushed the envelope". I have no idea why we use the word "envelope", but it means, "Man! You're pushing the limit!"

    I'm glad Matt was there for you - Two peas in a pod! And I thank God with you for the blessings in your life! HALLELUJAH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Diane-
      Gee-I swear there was a "sound" coming from your area and it was meant for my stubborn Ears to HEAR!!! Yes dear friend, yell away!!
      I was dumb for getting out-and we also use that phrase of
      "pushing the envelope" and another one I love "heh, you are burning the candle at both ends???" Heard it all my life and think I might be gaining some understanding.

      Matt is my Blessing-oh wow he is!!! We are two peas in a pod as I watched him sneaking outside today, trying to do some work he should not be doing!!! What can I say?

      Thank you from the bottom of my heart for YELLING at me!!! I love it!!! Its a serious reminder for me to THINK!!!

      love you always, martha

      Delete
  2. Can thee be a human being that meets you but doesn't like you? I can't imagine that. Your heart is so pure before The LORD, Martha. I truly admire you! You and Matt - keep persevering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Diane-
      Well there has probably been a Lot of folks who met me and thought
      "that woman is too honest and direct" or "how does her Husband live with her-never seen a woman that Stubborn" and so on.

      You have no idea as to how High your words lift me!! I am humbled by the praise you send my way, and to also say such wonderful things about Matt-well it doesn't get much better than that!

      But my dear friend, You are right up there among the most precious of Angels!!

      Love you, Martha

      Delete
  3. That is how God pick our pair for us, one who will complete us... and that is you to Matt and vice-versa.

    I praise and thank God for how he is such a gentleman and a sensitive man, always willing and ready to help ahead. He is such a gift of a husband to you, a help in times of need.

    And you need that rest, glad though that the shot is working, thanks be to God.

    Bless you both, darlings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolita-
      Hearing your words is the best "medicine"I could ever hope for! Bless you for saying such wonderful words about Matt-he is really one of a kind-and I do believe the good Lord brought him to me.

      This round of shots was pretty hard-as I had some trouble by not wanting to WAKEUP- the nurses said I had stopped breathing-and that was the reason so many of them were watching over me during recovery.

      It has happened before-my old body has a fine line it walks and sometimes I just want to SLEEP. But I am not ready to go yet-please Lord-and hope to have many long years together with Matt-as we grow old and still treasure all of our blessings.

      Thank you Lolita-you always make me feel so good after hearing from you. I pray all is well with you. Hugs, Martha

      Delete
  4. That Matt....he's an alright guy! (Psst...make sure he's out of the room when you read this...don't want his head blowing up any more....he is a STERLING human being, man, friend, husband, father, brother....EVERYTHING!) Love, sheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheryl-
      We just got home from going to a movie! Yes- a rare thing for us to do and it was good-just to be together in the quiet theatre. Everything you said about my Matt is true-He is one of a Kind-just like YOURS!!!

      Thank you and so much love I send your way for being YOU!!!!

      Our lives are very blessed to have you around!!!

      love dear girl.martha

      Delete