Friday, June 15, 2012

Did I really pay attention?

Last night my husband asked me to look at his Broken Thumb-all the Pins have been removed and he must wear a brace to hold the Thumb in place until September. I paused from watching mindless TV and looked at his thumb-thinking to myself "that is One Ugly Thumb" but  kept those words to myself.  Instead I offered words of praise, telling him it looked Great and turned my attention back to TV.

After 37 years of marriage, we have a comfortable "language" flowing between us-example being when I call him to my office-seeking his input on my Pain Blog, wanting to see if he likes something I wrote.  He will give it a quick glance, with a "Yep, looks good" then Waits in silence for me to speak-letting him know I agree or need to talk about something else.  Its simple-the man pays Close Attention to me, giving me tons of Love and a bunch of Respect!  How did I get so lucky to have such a wonderful man in my life?  All I know is I prayed very hard, many long years ago and without doubt, God heard my prayers and I met my dear Matt.

All I have to do is holler "Heh-Husband" and I hear him telling me "Yes I hear You, Hang on for a Second-Yep I am on the way, Yes Dear!"  Words of love, mixed in with a bit of frustration-simple way to put it, We call it our Marriage-as we both live with the Good and Bad times of life-when we lean on each other and lean very hard on God.

So why was this nagging question the first thing on my mind today- "Did I really pay Attention to my husband's Thumb last night?"  The answer was too clear for me-No, I glanced at it, made my brief comment and that was it!  Something tells me as I turned away, he was thinking "Geez, is that all I get?"  Shame hits me as I admit to myself "Yes, Husband-its all you got from me and I am Sorry!"

I am not a bad wife-but I am a wife who has been wrapped up tight with Chronic Pain for sixteen years and  sadly I forgot the most important person in my life, who just needed a little more time cast his way, letting him know his Thumb is beautiful, just the way it is now!  My heart aches as I realize my "Goof"  in paying needed attention to my Husband.  Its one mistake I will do my best to Not repeat again.

My determination to fight back against Pain is very strong, but my love for "Heh Husband" is bigger
than any Pain Battle-and one Banged Up Thumb sent me a Powerful message last Night!

God bless all the Fathers on this Special Weekend and we Thank you God for our Fathers who watch over us from Above~

Martha

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post, Martha! What a beautiful heart you have - quick to allow The Holy Spirit to convict you. Thank you for being transparent and allowing us to learn from your mistake.

    How many times I've done the same thing.

    Enoy your Hey, Husband today. May God hold Matt's heart close to His Bosom tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane-
      Thank you for these beautiful words-"Heh Husband" is one great guy-
      and it was an eye-opener for me, helping me to understand-Not everything is about Martha!

      Bless you Dear Friend and We Thank God for your Joe!

      Martha

      Delete
  2. Martha, Martha, Martha...I just had to do that...hehe...
    Pure of heart Martha...a pure heart sees quickly their sin...repents...and does something if they can about the effects of it. Everything about me is the sin that so easily besets us all the most. Great post. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty-
      Oh I love "Martha, Martha, Martha!" Thanks for doing that! Matt read this post and smiled all the way through it.

      Dear Betty-something tells me that you are so wonderful and dear to all who come in contact with you! I feel so blessed to know you and have this gift of sharing!

      Blessings to you my friend. Martha

      Delete
  3. Me too Martha...I feel blessed that God has given me a close circle, not a large one for I could not keep up with it. But a small close circle of friends to pray for me. I just told Ace today how lonely I have got since we moved to California. Again I can say that in this close circle of friends and know you are sitting on the other side of these words, going, oh yeah, oh yeah. I do have friends here but at this time it's mostly me reaching out and listening a lot. It's what God has for me now, I know it yet it brings tears even as I write this. See I am a Martha too and health and our ministry now has rendered me to be a Mary. My prayer life has gotten better because of it and I know the Heaven Father is pleased I come to Him more then first to my friends. It is the season of my life...God keep re-assuing me of that.

    PS...I love it that Jesus called her name out loud three times, love it. Love it that she was rebuked by Jesus face to face and continue to serve Him and all those around her. Love it that God wanted all the Martha's in the world to feel so loved by Him. I sense God is saying to me, Betty, Betty, Betty...your post brought word out of my soul friend. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete