Thursday, June 14, 2012

Giving Respect to Chronic Pain...

Wait a second, I put the words out there, Giving Respect to Chronic Pain-and felt like I had stumbled into a strange land!  How in the world could I begin to give any Respect to my Pain-when all I want to do is chase it out of my life forever!

Chronic Pain has a way of becoming too familiar-meaning I know how it feels, why its hurting, all the medical treatments I have been through to bring me some relief and as a result, Pain tends to be like a pair of old shoes you want to throw away, but something keeps saying "Nah, I will do that later, after all, they don't look that bad on my feet!"

There are many days when people see me and say "Martha, you really look Good today, wow you must be feeling so much better!"  Sometimes they are right-I have times of Pain relaxing into a slow dull sensation-giving me moments of freedom that are so precious!  Thinking of Pain in this way shows me its probably okay to give the Pain a bit of grudging Respect-but my mind is always thinking "Just don't Get Used to Me being Nice to Pain, Okay!"   Yes-sounds a bit strange but when Chronic Pain is right beside you, taking you down-to a place where you are begging for a single second of Relief-I can see the desire in  "giving Pain a harsh tongue lashing" so we can still feel like ourselves-instead having to deal with the non-stop throb of Chronic Pain.  Yes-I see the reasoning of Respect clearly.

Yet the lines of Respecting Pain are easily crossed, forgotten-we are very human and want to enjoy our lives, being like others who don't have Chronic Pain hanging around.  We forget about Pain, and get busy doing things we once could attempt with ease- suddenly Pain comes flying back around us-knocking the wind out of our sails and we feel as if our bodies are down for the count.   I had my "reminder" this week-it happened with Stubborn Farm Chickens being chased by a Stubborn woman,  and all I can say is Pain stood up to me, slapped my body hard, telling me "Chronic Pain is right here-don't try that again!"  Believe me, as tears flowed from hurting so much, I found that word "Respect"  and finally gave in!

I did not say "Give Up"-two words I do not care for at all, and probably help explain why I can be a very Stubborn woman-but I learned an important lesson this week-given to me in a Pain-filled manner:
Its okay to Respect Pain-let's be honest, living with Chronic Pain is exhausting!  Your body is drained morning, noon, and night from the war with Pain-Resting is definitely needed, and it took this round of suffering to help me be more open to how I need to care for my body so Pain doesn't take me down to the ground. 


There will probably be mistakes made again-times when I forget about Respecting Pain-but finding myself at the "Wall" this week-begging for relief, crying and asking friends for Prayer because I had no energy left.
What a blessing to feel those Prayers, understanding I didn't have to reach very Far for them!  I pray for all who are suffering this battle against Chronic Pain, asking "God help all who must walk with Pain."

My Joy for this day-being able to get out of bed today and not feel as if a Train had just run over me!

God bless you.

Martha


2 comments:

  1. "...begging for relief, crying and asking friends for Prayer because I had no energy left." This brought tears to my eyes! (((((Martha))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronica-
      You are such a loving person-sending HUGS that nobody can resist, knowing they are filled with amazing Blessings.

      Thank you dear friend. I feel better already!
      Martha

      Delete